What is Heart Coherence?
A healthy heart has a natural variation, from minute to minute, beat to beat – even when you are sitting at rest. A change equivalent to 30 beats per minute over just a few seconds is not uncommon. This phenomenon is known as Heart Rate Variability (HRV). It’s a sign of health – in fact the greater the variability the better.
Heart rate (HR) is intimately tied to the bodily expression of emotions. You can probably think of times when your heart raced with excitement, or “missed a beat” following a shock.
However, patterns within the variability are much more significant than the simple rate. In states of stress, anxiety, anger and sadness the variation tends to be disordered and chaotic. In positive emotional states such as love and gratitude, the variation tends to be ordered and rhythmic. This state of rhythmic variation is known as Heart Coherence, and is a highly efficient and healthy mode of operating.
How to Generate Heart Coherence
1. Straighten upper back and open chest area
2. Allow Shoulders to roll back in a relaxed way
3. Loosen Jaw and throat
4. Take 3 deep breaths into your heart and belly at start
5. Relax and stop trying; let go of all strain or vigilance
6. If you are feeling anxious or tired or ill in the moment, put on a smile anyway and just let it be.
7. If you are feeling emotionally down or are having a hard or bad day/week/time, again, put on a smile and let it be.
8. Summon feelings of love, appreciation, gratitude. Keep in simple, don’t conjure up complicated relationships. You can think about a pet or a vase of beautiful flowers. If you can not summon these feelings, just accept what is and accept yourself exactly as you are.
Benefits of Heart Coherence
Being in is a state of being that is high quality. It’s not hard to do. Here are some great reasons to start practicing coherence as a way of life:
Deep relaxation and stress relief
More calm and more courageous
Feeling balanced in your body, emotions and mind
Positive energy radiating out from your heart area
Great focus and concentration, a clear and quiet mind
Once Heart Coherence is achieved it has been scientifically proven to influence or “cancel out” lower frequency emotions. It can also be directed toward people or events for healing purposes. The Global Coherence Monitoring System (GCMS) is a technology component of the Global Coherence Initiative, a project launched in 2008 by the Institute of HeartMath. The GCMS is measuring changes in the earth’s magnetic field and hypothesizes that people’s collective positive emotions can influence the earth’s field and ultimately help to foster balance, cooperation and world peace.
The Institute of Heart Math has taken the method of Heart Coherence one step further with their Global Coherence Initiative. “The Global Coherence Initiative is a science-based, co-creative project to unite people in heart-focused care and intention, to facilitate the shift in global consciousness from instability and discord to balance, cooperation and enduring peace.”